Monday, June 2, 2008

So today (now a couple of days ago) I worked from 7am until 9pm in Drive-thru at Starbucks. 14 hours. I'm quite tired.

I met a pretty lady from Russia.

A group of guys from Saudi Arabia who were here in the Navy. They said they liked Saudi Arabia more than here. They said gas was 60 cents a gallon. Hot and Rich was how they described the place.

A deaf lady came through and ordered a venti vanilla bean frappuccino. I like her a lot... She's awesome.

Another lady came through who sounded pretty distraught as she ordered. Scattered and mixing up her drinks. She said she was having a rough day, so we gave one of her drinks to her for free. I like giving free stuff away when I work, I probably do it to much. Anyway, she came up to the window and when I told her we gave her one of them for free she became a bit emotional and was very thankful. She said "let me tell you about my day.." and so I told Allan to get the next person in line and just listened.

The truck she used to drive had a problem that was going to cost her about $750 to fix so she was driving a friends car. The truck was her husbands I think.

Last night her children watched their father drive away with another woman and not come back that night. She had apparently just chased him around with bat right before she came to Starbucks. She said she was not so much upset about the woman as she was about her children seeing their father do such a thing. "Never marry someone for their money" she told, "It doesn't matter how much it is, it's not worth things like this." She said that the best thing that has happened to her today was this.

She got kind of worked up, I choked up a little.

It's hard hearing true, unfeigned reality sometimes. There's very little that helps when your going through such things. Everything is shitty.

Louie Giglio spoke about when the bottom falls out in life during the Youth Specialties conference last November. About when everything comes into question... God, life, people, everything. No sort of theology or well spoken word helps. He spoke on how the only thing we can do is hang onto the cross. We don't feel like it and it doesn't help right then, but it's the only thing we can do.

I don't know, it was just a very raw and genuine way of showing the answer. The answer being there is no answer. No right way. We can only keep walking through these things.

I feel really really sappy writing all of this. Anyway.

I told her I would be praying for her. She said she was a Christian; I don't know how true that is to her heart but I pray it will become truer, through this situation especially.

I've been racking my brain trying to remember her name. I think it's Becca... or Becky. It's probably neither, but if your into praying for people I think it would be cool to pray for Becca.

Sorry for not posting in a while.

**Edit. She came by again today. Her name is Brandy. She's going to be moving out soon and is looking for a job. I think she's going to take her kids with her, but I'm not sure.

4 comments:

Justmatt said...

Thanks for sharing Phil. Good stuff! Glad to have you back.

Anonymous said...

Yea, thanks for sharing. It's good to know that you're listening and helping those in P-Cola. I actually got a bit choked up reading that.

ryan-c said...

Fil is starting a starbucks ministry in p-town... spread the word.

=) lol

Anonymous said...

you were made for that job